Transfer credit

Search the guide

Undergrad Guide previous editions


Engineering Student Services

230 Bechtel Engineering Center
Berkeley, CA 94720-1702
(510) 642-7594

Monday – Thursday, 8 a.m.–5 p.m.
Friday, 10 a.m.–5 p.m.

Initial credit review

All credit-bearing exams (e.g. AP, IB, GCE A-Level) and transfer course work submitted by first year and transfer students prior to their arrival to Berkeley are reviewed by the campus’ Central Evaluation Unit as part of the initial transfer credit review. This initial transfer credit review is generally completed by the end of your first semester. At that time, all transfer work eligible for unit credit towards the Berkeley degree should be posted to the Transfer Credit Report, available in CalCentral My Academics. Students with transfer course work from a non-California community college should allow for a few more weeks for the College to review for satisfaction of degree requirements.

After the initial transfer credit review is complete, please direct any questions or concerns about missing transfer work for unit credit and/or the Entry Level Writing, American History and Institutions, and American Cultures requirements to the Central Evaluation Unit by opening a case with Cal Student Central.

Unit credit

The maximum number of units that can be transferred to the university from a community college is 70 semester units. However, subject credit is allowed for courses taken at a community college beyond the 70 unit maximum.

Subject credit

You should use the website to determine equivalencies for courses taken at California community colleges. Courses taken at four-year institutions (including other UC schools) and at community colleges outside California must be evaluated before subject credit can be awarded. To have a course evaluated, please consult with your Engineering Student Services (ESS) Adviser in 230 Bechtel Engineering Center. In most cases, you will need to provide a syllabus of the course in order to begin the course evaluation process.

Attendance at other schools after enrollment at UC Berkeley

Once you begin your education in the College of Engineering, you are eligible to take courses elsewhere during the summer; however, please familiarize yourself with the relevant policies.