Ready to apply to Berkeley Engineering? Start here. Applications are available each year beginning August 1, and the annual UC system application period is November 1–30 for admission for the following fall semester.
All applications are administered by the Office of Undergraduate Admissions. For more information about the application process and eligibility, visit Berkeley’s admissions website. Or for a first-hand taste of all that Berkeley Engineering has to offer, come visit us.
The College of Engineering values personal qualities that are considered in reviewing all applicants, including creativity, leadership ability, character, motivation, insight, tenacity, initiative, originality, intellectual independence, responsibility, maturity, written and oral communication skills, as well as demonstrated concern for others and for the community.
- Sustained academic achievement, especially in math and science
- Four years of mathematics, especially including calculus
- At least three years of laboratory science, especially if it includes physics when available at the applicant’s home institution.
Prospective undergraduates to the College of Engineering should apply for admission to a specific program from one of the following:
- Aerospace Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Electrical Engineering & Computer Sciences
- Energy Engineering
- Engineering Mathematics & Statistics
- Engineering Physics
- Engineering Undeclared (freshman applicants only)
- Environmental Engineering Science
- Industrial Engineering & Operations Research
- Materials Science & Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Nuclear Engineering
Students admitted as freshmen may petition to change to a joint major after completing their first year at Berkeley; junior transfer applicants are not able to apply to joint majors. There are also two joint major programs in conjunction with chemical engineering offered through the College of Chemistry; transfer students interested in these programs must apply to the College of Chemistry.
For additional information about our degree programs, please visit the undergraduate programs and majors and minors pages in the Academics section of our website. For important admissions information specific to transfer applicants, go to our junior transfer admissions page.