Students with 3-D printed blue bearPhoto by Noah Berger


Ideally, after reviewing all the options for majors, minors and hybrid curricula that are available within the College of Engineering, you will have found an area that has your name written all over it. There are few professions that offer as many options for creative, impactful work as the field of engineering. If, however, you still aren’t sure which specific discipline is perfectly suited to your own set of skills and interests, there’s always the option of going undeclared.

But first, a caveat. Admission to the undeclared program can be more competitive than admission to other engineering majors. So, if you know which field of engineering you wish to study, you should apply to that major.

If you have been admitted to the Engineering Undeclared program, you should be aware of the following policies and procedures:

  • You must complete one semester at UC Berkeley before you can officially declare a major.
  • You must declare a major by the end of your fourth semester, and if you are in good academic standing you may choose from any of the College of Engineering majors, including the joint programs. Good academic standing is defined as having an overall and technical GPA of 2.0 or higher and not being on academic probation or subject to dismissal. Note: Double majors within the College of Engineering and joint programs offered by the College of Chemistry require an application.
  • You should work closely with your ESS Adviser to explore major options.

Want to know more details? Learn about Berkeley Engineering’s undeclared program.