Cal Bears student overlooking the Lysefjord in NorwayFrom the fjords of northern Europe to the Australian Outback, and at every latitude in between, Berkeley engineers are learning all across the globe.

Study abroad

Our students plan to change the world. Our programs make a global impact. So it makes sense to get out there and see the world we’re changing. Berkeley Engineering works in concert with the UC Education Abroad Program (EAP) as well as non-UC sponsored programs to enrich your engineering education with an experience in a foreign country.

Study abroad programs are offered for one semester, a full academic year or a summer session. Every program takes careful planning and thorough communication with your Engineering Student Services adviser and the financial aid office. You can complete such a program without delaying graduation; however, if needed, students who participate will be granted an additional semester to finish their degree requirements.

NOTE: Due to public health concerns stemming from the COVID-19 pandemic, all fall 2020 study abroad programs have been suspended by the University of California Education Abroad Program. For details, please see the Berkeley Study Abroad website.

Learn more about how to study abroad:

Study Abroad for Engineering Majors Student Panel & Information Session
Thursday, November 7, 5:30 – 7:30 p.m., Sibley Auditorium, Bechtel Engineering Center
***New date due to rescheduling due to power outages***
Hear from a panel of current engineering students about their experiences overseas, programs they participated in, and how they fit study abroad into their schedules. Engineering Student Services and Study Abroad Advisers will give an overview of how to start the process, applications and more. Please RSVP, dinner is provided.

Explore: If you think that studying abroad is an experience you’d like to explore, read our study abroad FAQs, policies for study abroad, and visit the Berkeley Study Abroad website. You’ll also need to fill out and submit an EAP college requirements status form and EAP preliminary academic planning form.