Change of major
Students in the College of Engineering must complete a minimum of one semester at Berkeley before they can apply for a change of major. However, our most heavily subscribed majors may require a minimum of two semesters. Students must apply before their 5th semester begins. We strongly recommend talking to your adviser as soon as your first semester to talk about eligibility requirements if you are planning to change majors.
During the UC Berkeley application process you should apply to the major you wish to pursue as change of major is never guaranteed.
- Transfer students are not eligible to change majors or add a second major. There are, however, six joint major programs to which transfer students may apply after their first semester if their current major is part of the joint major (e.g., an EECS transfer student may change to the EECS/MSE joint major if they meet minimum eligibility requirements). Transfer students who wish to change to a joint major must do so before their 3rd semester begins.
- Students admitted to the College of Engineering through change of college are not eligible to change majors or add a second major.
If you are not in the above categories and you are eligible to apply to change your major, you must meet with your ESS Adviser to review minimum requirements to change to your intended major. Minimum requirements include:
- Satisfactory academic progress in your current major. Satisfactory academic progress is defined as successfully completing at least 2 technical courses that satisfy your current major requirements each semester. This is in addition to any requirements for your prospective major. Students who are not making satisfactory academic progress in their current major will be denied a change of major. Note that Incompletes could negatively impact your eligibility for a change of major.
- Specific minimum GPA and/or course requirements that vary by major. See your ESS Adviser to discuss eligibility.
- Completion of a minimum of one semester at UC Berkeley (some majors require more than one semester completed)
- Good academic standing
- A planned program that includes a realistic trajectory for completing all degree requirements within the time allotted by the college.
- Submission of a change of major application to your ESS Adviser before your 5th semester begins.