Innovation and entrepreneurship
Today’s problems demand creative solutions that cut across traditional boundaries. They require design thinking and outside-the-box imaginations. Emerging technologies and machine learning. Multidisciplinary teams and whiteboards full of diagrams. At Berkeley Engineering, the sky’s the limit when it comes to finding the program, the talent pool, and the creative resources you need to build your dream or save the planet.
Whether your skill set is design or business or technology — or all three — we have a program that will get you where you want to go. Demand for those trained in both technology and design has grown by 250% over the past decade. So dream big and get going.
Berkeley’s network of offerings in innovation and entrepreneurship include:
- The Sutardja Center for Entrepreneurship and Technology (SCET), which uses the renowned Berkeley Method in its robust program of lectures and courses in entrepreneurship and technology commercialization.
- The Jacobs Institute for Design Innovation, which puts an emphasis on a multidisciplinary experiential design, incorporating hands-on practice with design automation, rapid prototyping, team-based learning, and commercial development.
- The Fung Institute for Engineering Leadership, which offers a Master of Engineering (MEng) for engineers interested in working in industry and/or entrepreneurship and a Ph.D. minor in Technology Entrepreneurship, Leadership & Strategy for business-curious engineering doctoral students at UC Berkeley.
- The Management, Entrepreneurship, & Technology (M.E.T.) Program, which educates students with a seamless understanding of technology innovation — from raw idea to real-world impact.
- The MBA/MEng degree, which prepares students in technological innovation across an array of different industries and enables them to earn two master’s degrees at the same time.
- The MTM program, a two-semester degree blending the engineering, clinical, and entrepreneurial aspects of translating medical innovation into clinical reality. Offered jointly by the Department of Bioengineering at UC Berkeley and the Department of Bioengineering and Therapeutic Sciences at UCSF.
- The MDes program, which is a three-semester degree offered jointly by the College of Engineering and the College of Environmental Design, in collaboration with the Jacobs Institute for Design Innovation.
- The Fung Fellowship, an entrepreneurship and innovation program that connects diverse undergraduate students to community and industry partners with opportunities to develop technology solutions that address our society’s most pressing problems in public health and conservation.
- Berkeley SkyDeck, our largest startup accelerator, which has helped to launch more than 300 startups since its founding in 2012.