You can complete requirements for two distinct majors within the College of Engineering by pursuing a double major. You might also want to check out our joint major options.
If you are interested in pursuing a double major, you must meet the following requirements:
- You must meet with your ESS Adviser no later than the end of your 3rd semester to review your requirements and course plan. Please note, not all requirements are published online and some are time-sensitive.
- At least 2 semesters have been completed at UC Berkeley.
- Your overall UC GPA is a minimum of 3.0 (some majors may have higher GPA requirements).
- You were admitted as a freshman to the College of Engineering. (Junior transfer students and change of college admits are not eligible to apply for a double major.)
- You are making acceptable progress in your current major.
- Your Program Planning Form includes all course and unit requirements for both majors.
- Your plan must be in compliance with our overlap policies:
- Each major must include at least 5 upper division technical courses that do not overlap with the other major.
- After you have accounted for the 5 upper division technical courses that cannot overlap, your planned program should include no more than 5 upper division courses that do overlap.