Change of major

Poster session in HMMB atriumPhoto by Matt BeardsleyStudents in the College of Engineering must complete a minimum of one semester at Berkeley before they can apply for a change of major. However, our most heavily subscribed majors may require a minimum of two semesters.

During the UC Berkeley application process you should apply to the major you wish to pursue as change of major is never guaranteed.

  • Transfer students are not eligible to change majors or add a second major. There are, however, six joint major programs to which transfer students may apply after their first semester.
  • Students admitted to the College of Engineering through change of college are not eligible to change majors or add a second major.

If you are not in the above categories and you are eligible to apply to change your major, you must meet with your ESS Adviser to review minimum requirements to change to your intended major. Those requirements include:

  • Specific minimum GPA and/or course requirements that vary by major
  • Completion a minimum of one semester at UC Berkeley (some majors require more than one semester completed)
  • Good academic standing
  • Satisfactory academic progress during your semesters of enrollment
  • A planned program that includes a realistic trajectory for completing all degree requirements within the time allotted by the college
  • Submission of a change of major application to your ESS Adviser before your 5th semester begins.