PREP: Pre-Engineering Program
The Pre-Engineering Program (PREP) is a first year experience that provides incoming, first-year engineering students with a competitive edge through a program, cohorted coursework during the first year, advising and networking all before the fall semester begins. You’ll form close bonds that will help you succeed at Berkeley and beyond. PREP is one of the many support services offered by the Center for Access to Engineering Excellence. Through the generous support of our corporate partners, PREP is provided at no cost to participating students.
What are PREP’s goals?
In PREP you will:
- Develop insight into the rigors of Berkeley coursework — specifically in calculus, physics and chemistry.
- Make friends with fellow incoming freshmen and build a network of peers even before you start classes.
- Receive hands-on experience in group study, problem-solving and time management.
- Build your resume and portfolio by participating in professional development activities that will help prepare you for future internships.
- Be a part of a Design Team while getting a glimpse of bleeding edge technology in your major.
- Learn what Engineering Student Services offers to make the most of your time at Berkeley, including academic advising, leadership and professional development and undergraduate research.
What is the PREP experience?
PREP is an intensive program that introduces students to the demands of their first year at Berkeley. The program begins three weeks before Golden Bear Orientation with a residential program. Once the academic year begins, students enroll in their typical core engineering courses with a special PREP sections of Math 1A (calculus I). Throughout the fall semester, the CAEE hosts workshops and events specific to the needs of our students, including: advanced study and note-taking skills, time management, connecting to faculty through office hours, as well as other relevant topics. In the spring, students enroll in Physics 7A (physics I) with a special PREP discussion section. Throughout the spring, more programming will be provided on: getting involved in research, preparing for graduate education, career and internship preparation, etc.
What is included in PREP?
PREP is a three week, immersion program that provides students with insight into the pace and rigors of Berkeley Engineering. Throughout the program, students take calculus, physics and chemistry, participate in skill-building workshops, and are introduced to the range of resources the college and campus have to offer. PREP is designed to jumpstart your survival skills and get you prepared for the competitive environment of a top-tier, research institution.
Do I qualify for PREP?
All incoming first-year students (including undocumented students) are invited to apply for PREP. The program focuses on the academic issues facing students from groups who are:
- Members of a historically underrepresented group in the field of engineering
- From low-income or first-generation backgrounds
When is PREP offered?
PREP is a year-long experience that begins three weeks before Golden Bear Orientation (July 25 - August 10). You must be able to attend for the entire program — no exceptions.
What is the cost of PREP?
PREP is offered at no costs to our students. Through the generous support of our sponsors — RECARE Foundation, Chevron, GM, Boeing and the College of Engineering — PREP is free to all participants. Lodging, food, books and class time are all provided for you. A small amount of spending money is all you’ll need.