Hearst Memorial Mining Building

Hearst Memorial Mining Building


Here, you will find guidelines for reserving and making use of facilities maintained by the College of Engineering dean’s office, including spaces in Bechtel Engineering Center, Hearst Memorial Mining Building, O’Brien Hall and McLaughlin Hall, as well as spaces at the Richmond Field Station. Most spaces can be reserved using our online reservation system; see below for details.

Click on a facility name below to view the space.

Garbarini Lounge, Bechtel Engineering Center

  • Capacity: 75 seated, 100 standing
  • Fee: $75 per hour; two hour minimum
  • Equipment: none on site

Sibley Auditorium, Bechtel Engineering Center

  • Capacity: 227 seats, 5 ADA
  • No food or drinks
  • Fee: $125 per hour; two hour minimum
  • Equipment: computer projector, lapel microphone, handheld microphone

Trefethen Terrace, Bechtel Engineering Center

  • Capacity: 80 seated, 150 standing
  • Fee: $75 per hour; two hour minimum
  • Equipment: none on site

Banatao Room, 290 Hearst Memorial Mining Building

  • Capacity: 78 seated
  • Fee: $50 per hour; two hour minimum
  • Equipment: computer projector

Moore Lobby, Hearst Memorial Mining Building

  • Capacity: 120 seated, 300 standing
  • Not available weekdays when classes are in session
  • Fee: $125 per hour; two hour minimum
  • Equipment: none on site

East Esplanade, O’Brien Hall

  • Capacity: 75 seated, 200 standing
  • Fee: none
  • Equipment: none on site

East Entry Plaza, McLaughlin Hall

  • Capacity: 30 seated, 60 standing
  • Fee: none
  • Equipment: none on site

Operations Richmond Field Station

Facilities master plan (2002) PDF download

Building hours

Facilities maintained by the College of Engineering dean’s office can be reserved Mondays to Fridays, 8 a.m.–10 p.m. Use is not permitted during normal closure periods such as weekends, holidays and university breaks. Check Berkeley’s academic calendar for more information. Exceptions to this policy will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.

Campus services

If your reservation calls for audio-visual services, parking permits, alcohol use permits or other campus services, you will need to upload relevant documentation to your reservation request or email to coe-facilities@berkeley.edu to complete your reservation. Visit these links to secure the campus services you need:


All departments and organizations reserving and using facilities managed by the College of Engineering dean’s office are responsible for adhering to these policies. Any deviation from this requirement will affect future reservation requests.

Our facilities are programmed specifically for the College of Engineering. To ensure appropriate academic and professional content, all events and meetings must be sponsored and organized by College of Engineering offices, departments or research units. Use by other campus departments may be granted as exceptions only. These facilities are not available for booking by the general public.

Student use

Student organizations wishing to reserve our facilities must be registered with the LEAD Center and the Engineering Student Council. For conferences, seminars and other special events, student organizations must include faculty advisers as active members of the organizing committee.

A UCPD Special Event and Security Assessment is required under either of the following conditions:

  • You are a student group and your event takes place after normal building hours or on a weekend.
  • You are a  graduate student group  and would like to serve alcohol at your event . ( Undergraduate student groups cannot obtain alcohol permits for a campus event.) 

Submit the assessment form to UCPD no later then 6 weeks before the event.

User’s responsibilities

  • Users agree to abide by the Rules of Conduct in Campus Buildings.
  • No candles, hotplates or fires of any kind.
  • All users are responsible for returning the facility to its normal condition at the conclusion of the event. This includes replacing all moved furniture back to the standard layout posted by the entry door.
  • Users are responsible for making sure all trash is deposited in the waste containers and that all equipment and supplies from the event are removed.
  • If extraordinary cleaning or repair is deemed necessary, additional vendor fees will be recharged to the chartstring provided by the event organizer. This includes fees to re-set any moved furniture.
  • Cleaning fees will be recharged accordingly to the chartstring provided. Any debris abandoned after the event will result in the loss of a security deposit or recharged to the chartstring.
  • The organizer is financially responsible for any damage to the building, equipment or furnishings caused by persons attending the event.
  • Special requests such as additional furniture must be pre-approved by the COE facilities office. If additional furniture or assistance with set-up/takedown is required, contact Property Management.
  • The COE facilities office does not provide posters, name tags, registration, website development, catering, room set-up or other event management. These are fully the responsibility of the organizer.

Contracted services

The organizer must provide proof of all services required for the reservation, including but not limited to security services, insurance certificates and permits. Failure to do so will result in loss of the reservation. If special circumstances prevent you from complying with this requirement, please contact the COE facilities office immediately after submitting your reservation request to make alternate arrangements.

Security services

If your event is on a weekend or outside normal building hours, you must arrange for a UCPD Security Patrol Officer (SPO) to be present for the after-hours period of the event. An approved Police Services request form must be uploaded to your reservation or emailed to the Facilities Manager no later than five working days prior to the event date.

Custodial Service

Events with more than 25 attendees, as well as events that involve catering or other food service, require Facilities Services for cleaning and waste management. These services will be ordered by COE Facilities and recharged directly to the organizer. Users may not opt out of this policy to assume personal responsibility for cleaning. Cleaning fees can be obtained from Facilities Services after the event.

Information about zero waste events, including participating caterers, can be found on the Cal Zero Waste website.  

Audio-visual needs

Sibley Auditorium and some conference rooms are equipped with a projector, screen and speakers. Contact the COE facilities office well in advance of your reservation for use instructions or to test the on-site equipment.

All other staging requirements such as video recording and webcasting should be arranged through COE Facilities. Special AV service includes staff assistance and services such as recording or live streaming. Special AV service requests will not be accepted less than 10 business days prior to the event date.

For events not hosted by the Engineering Dean's Office, special AV service may be provided by an independent contractor. The contractor will contact you directly and provide a separate proposal based on your needs. Payment is made directly to the contractor. In addition to the contractor's fee, an equipment use fee of $300 will be charged directly to the chartstring provided on your reservation request. (The equipment use fee is not charged if you elect to use the self-service AV equipment in the room.)

For information about how to hire an independent contractor, please visit Berkeley Supply Chain Management. Engineering Departments can visit ERSO for information. It is your responsibility to complete this process prior to your event. Student organizations are not authorized to hire independent contractors.

Alternately, AV staging may also be ordered through campus Educational Technology Services.

Note: No amplified sound is allowed in the Banatao Room (290 Hearst Memorial Mining Building) or in the Moore Lobby during times when classes are in session.  All requests for amplified sound must be approved by the Hearst facility manager prior to the event.

Food service

  • All food served must be professionally catered. A list of approved suppliers can be found when booking a room through the online reservation system. Suppliers not on the approved caterer list must provide proof of insurance.
  • A food permit from Environment, Health & Safety is required for events open to the public or if admission is being charged.
  • If you plan to barbecue, you must obtain an open-flame cooking permit from Environment, Health & Safety. Fires, candles and hotplates are not allowed in any of our facilities.
  • No electrical catering equipment, such as hot beverage dispensers, soup kettles, etc., is permitted in Bechtel Garbarini lounge. 

Proof of insurance

  • If the organizer books a caterer, florist, musician or other supplier who will be on campus  providing services for the event, the supplier must provide proof of insurance.
  • Suppliers should visit Berkeley Risk Services to review guidelines for insurance certificates.

Insurance Requirements - If you are using a vendor in America To Go or Cal Catering, the insurance requirements are not needed.

For all vendors providing services at the event, they will need to provide a certificate of insurance with the following information:

  1. General Liability Insurance
    • with at least $1,000,000 worth of coverage
    • Individual or Company name must be listed on the policy as Insured
    • The REGENTS OF THE UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA must be listed as “additional insured”
    • The certificate must list the INSURER’S name and contact information
    • The policy start and end date must be valid and listed on the certificate
  2. Auto Liability Insurance with at least  $1,000,000 worth of coverage – if a representative will be driving on University property
  3. Proof of WORKER’S COMPENSATION - if a company employee will be working on University property.

Vendors who do not already have a certificate of insurance can obtain more information through the campus Office of Risk Services.

Completed certificates of insurance must be emailed to coe-facilities@berkeley.edu.


  • Be sure to review the Campus Alcoholic Beverage Policy (PDF).
  • If alcohol will be served, the organizer must complete an Alcohol Permit Request Form from UCPD.
  • The application must be approved by the sponsor, the COE facilities office and the UC Police Department. A copy of UCPD’s final approval must be uploaded to your reservation request or emailed to coe-facilities@berkeley.edu.
  • No alcohol may be served at a student event without a faculty sponsor who will be present for the duration of the event.
  • No alcohol may be served at any events where undergraduates are in attendance.

Setting up

  • Space access and key check-out must be arranged with the COE facilities office no later than three business days in advance.
  • No signs, banners, posters or decorations may be nailed or tacked in any way to interior walls.
  • Materials may be posted using blue painter’s tape only — no scotch tape, masking tape, packing tape, etc.
  • Banners may be draped on a table or affixed to a podium with blue painter’s tape.
  • Damage to the walls will be repaired and recharged to the chartstring provided.
  • All interior and exterior signs must be removed at the end of the event.

User’s liability

The sponsoring department or organization using College of Engineering facilities takes responsibility for:

  • Any damage to the building, equipment or furnishings caused by persons attending the event.
  • Any required services that accrue from the reservation.
  • Enforcing UC Berkeley’s alcohol use policy (PDF) and tobacco-free policy.
  • Restoring the facilities to their original state after the event.


  • The College of Engineering is not responsible for items left on the premises by the organizer or guests. All goods and equipment must be removed from the premises immediately following the conclusion of the event.
  • The COE facilities office may, at its sole discretion, place additional requirements on your reservation, such as extra security for high-profile guests.
  • All reservations are subject to cancellation by the College of Engineering dean’s office.
  • Exceptions to any of these policies are not valid unless approved in writing by the college’s assistant dean of facilities and capital projects.

The COE facilities office reserves the right to refuse future reservations to departments or organizations that do not comply with these policies.

Reserving a space

Use our online calendar to browse available facilities and request a reservation. It is not possible to place a hold on a room, other than by booking it. We’ll review your request to see if we can accommodate the date(s), time(s) and purpose and to confirm that all required approvals are being secured. Expect a response time of up to one week for an email reply. Note that our facilities are self-service. In your contracted hours, include sufficient time for set-up and clean-up. Typically, this means 1 hour prior to and one hour after the event. Access to the reserved facility will not be permitted until the time for which it is contracted.

Confirmation: Reservations are confirmed and guaranteed only upon receipt of all approvals, applicable forms and fees. Confirmation of all required services must  must be uploaded to your reservation request or emailed to coe-facilities@berkeley.edu no less than 10 business days before the date of your reservation.

Payment: Payment is accepted only with a campus chartstring. No cash, checks or credit cards. A chartstring is a mandatory requirement for all reservation requests and will be used for cancellations, damages and any services that may accrue from use of the facilities. Submission of a chartstring indicates that the department and its accounting administrator are aware that any forthcoming costs will be recharged to this account. If you have been granted permission to serve food or alcohol in Garbarini, HMMB 290 or the Moore Library, a fee of $75 will be recharged to the chartstring provided.

Cancellation: Cancellations may be made to your reservation request online or you may email your cancellation to coe-facilities@berkeley.edu. During periods of high demand, the COE facilities office holds the right to apply a cancellation fee to confirmed reservations. Cancellations are subject to a fee of $50 if the total reservation is less than $200, and a fee of $100 if the total is over $200. The fee will be recharged to the chartstring provided.

Plan ahead: Room reservations cannot be accepted less than five business days prior to the event date. Reservations may be made up to one year in advance of the event.

Other College of Engineering facilities

Visit these links to view and reserve additional space in the College of Engineering:

Blum Hall
Cory Hall
Etcheverry Hall
Soda Hall
Stanley Hall
Sutardja Dai Hall