Humanities and social sciences
To promote a rich and varied educational experience beyond the requirements for each engineering major, the College of Engineering has established the Humanities and Social Sciences (H/SS) breadth requirement. Follow these guidelines to fulfill this requirement:
- Complete at least six approved H/SS courses.
- Courses must be at least 3 semester units (or 4 quarter units).
- Two of the six courses must fulfill the college’s Reading and Composition (R&C) requirement. These courses must be taken for a passing letter grade. The first half of R&C, the A course, must be completed by the end of the freshman year; the second half, the B course, by the end of the sophomore year. Use the L&S search engine to view R&C courses offered each semester.
- The four additional courses must be chosen from the H/SS offerings (see below). These courses may be taken on a pass/no pass basis.
- At least two of the six H/SS courses must be upper-division.
- One of the six courses must satisfy the campus American Cultures requirement. Note that any American Cultures course of 3 units or more may be used to meet H/SS requirements.
- Up to two of the six H/SS course requirements may be met by satisfactory AP, IB or A-Level exam scores (in humanities and social sciences subjects) prior to enrolling at Berkeley. View this list of exam scores that can be applied toward requirements.
- Note that only a limited number of engineering courses satisfy the H/SS requirement: BioE 100, CS C79, Engin 125, Engin 157 AC and ME 191 AC or 191K.
- Language courses may be used to satisfy the H/SS requirements; view the list of approved foreign language courses.
- Courses may fulfill multiple categories. For example, taking AP history and History 127 AC will satisfy your American Cultures requirement and your upper-division requirement.
- You may satisfy your H/SS requirements with Berkeley courses (3 units or more) offered in the summer or online.
- Courses numbered 97, 98, 99 or above 196 may not be used to complete the H/SS requirement.
Within the guidelines above, choose courses from any of the lists below. (Please note, you cannot use courses from the L&S biological science breadth to complete the H/SS requirement.)