Joint majors

Studying on Trefethen TerracePhoto by Noah BergerOur joint major programs are designed for students who see more possibilities than a single major can offer. These programs differ from dual majors in that they don’t require all the coursework for both majors; rather, the curricula include the core courses in each of the major fields. While joint majors may require increased course loads, they can still be completed in four years. And both majors are shown on your transcript. 

The College of Engineering currently offers six joint majors:

  • Bioengineering/Materials Science & Engineering
  • Electrical Engineering & Computer Sciences/Materials Science & Engineering
  • Electrical Engineering & Computer Sciences/Nuclear Engineering
  • Materials Science & Engineering/Mechanical Engineering
  • Materials Science & Engineering/Nuclear Engineering
  • Mechanical Engineering/Nuclear Engineering

To see detailed curricula, visit the joint majors section of the College of Engineering Undergraduate Guide.

Two more joint majors are administered by the College of Chemistry:

  • Chemical Engineering/Materials Science & Engineering
  • Chemical Engineering/Nuclear Engineering

You may apply for a joint major after meeting the following criteria:

  • At least two semesters have been completed at Berkeley.
  • You are in good academic standing.
  • You have made satisfactory academic progress during your semesters of enrollment.
  • Your planned program shows a realistic trajectory for completing all degree requirements within the time allotted by the college.

Students who meet these criteria and have a 3.0 or higher technical GPA are more likely to be approved. (Some majors require a technical GPA greater than 3.0 for admission, while other majors will accept students who have a GPA slightly below 3.0. Students should consult with their Engineering Student Services adviser for information specific to their intended major.)

If you think a joint major is right for you, discuss your plans with your Engineering Student Services adviser. It’s best to submit your change of major application by the end of your sophomore year. You must apply for a joint major at least two semesters before your anticipated date of graduation and include an academic plan that shows how the requested change will not delay graduation.

After one semester at Berkeley, junior transfers who can show that they can complete a joint major in the time allotted, and who meet predetermined GPA requirements, should speak with their ESS adviser about the possibility of applying to a joint program.


Detailed curricula

for our joint majors can be found in the College of Engineering Undergraduate Guide as well as the degree worksheet section of our website.