You are more inclined than most to ask “Why not?” You see connections others don’t see. You want to explore the intersection of engineering and art, or engineering and biotechnology, or engineering and e-commerce. You want to study two majors from different schools or colleges at Berkeley, and earn two separate degrees. Go for it.
Students pursuing a simultaneous degree must complete all college/school and major requirements for both programs. The application for a simultaneous degree will be considered only when all of the following requirements have been met:
- At least two semesters have been completed at Berkeley at the time of application.
- The planned program includes all requirements for both majors and colleges.
- No more than two upper division courses (used to satisfy major requirements) may overlap between the two programs. There is no limit on the number of courses used to satisfy breadth or humanities requirements that may overlap.
- If a ninth semester (or fifth semester for transfer students) is required to complete the simultaneous degree, this request must be made at the time of application. Requests for this additional semester are generally approved; consult with your Engineering Student Services (ESS) adviser for more information.
- Applicants must have an overall and technical GPA of 3.0 or higher. (The minimum GPA for consideration is 3.0. Applications are reviewed for acceptance by the department to which a student applies, and some have a higher GPA requirement.)
- Applicants from a school or college other than engineering must meet all change of college application criteria and must submit their simultaneous degree application no later than the end of the sophomore year. Though applicants remain in their current college, they are still applying to the College of Engineering. We have the same criteria for admission, whether applying for change of college or to complete a simultaneous degree. Visit the change of college section of our website to learn the application criteria.
- College of Engineering students must submit by the end of their sixth semester of enrollment if admitted to UCB as a freshman, or by the end of their second semester if admitted as a transfer student.
- The application must be approved by the deans of both colleges/schools to which you are applying. Review the instructions on the application for information on obtaining the necessary approvals and signatures, and consult with your ESS adviser if you have questions.