All departments and organizations reserving and using facilities managed by the College of Engineering dean’s office are responsible for adhering to these policies. Any deviation from this requirement will affect future reservation requests.
Our facilities are programmed specifically for the College of Engineering. To ensure appropriate academic and professional content, all events and meetings must be sponsored and organized by College of Engineering offices, departments or research units. Organizers outside the College of Engineering should enlist an engineering partner as a co-sponsor. Use by other campus departments may be granted as exceptions only. These facilities are not available for booking by the general public.
Student organizations wishing to reserve our facilities must first be registered with the LEAD Center and the Engineering Student Council. For conferences, seminars and other special events, student organizations must include faculty advisers as active members of the organizing committee.
- Users agree to abide by the Rules of Conduct in Campus Buildings.
- No candles, hotplates or fires of any kind.
- All users are responsible for returning the facility to its normal condition at the conclusion of the event. This includes replacing all moved furniture back to the standard layout posted by the entry door.
- Users are responsible for making sure all trash is deposited in the waste containers and that all equipment and supplies from the event are removed.
- If extraordinary cleaning or repair is deemed necessary, additional vendor fees will be recharged to the chartstring provided by the event organizer. This includes fees to re-set any moved furniture.
- Cleaning fees will be recharged accordingly to the chartstring provided. Any debris abandoned after the event will result in the loss of a security deposit or recharged to the chartstring.
- The organizer is financially responsible for any damage to the building, equipment or furnishings caused by persons attending the event.
- Special requests such as additional furniture must be pre-approved by the COE facilities office. If additional furniture or assistance with set-up/takedown is required, contact Property Management. There is a recharge for all services.
- The COE facilities office does not provide posters, nametags, registration, website development, catering, room set-up or other event management. These are fully the responsibility of the organizer.
The organizer must provide proof of all services required for the reservation within two weeks of submitting a request, including but not limited to custodial services, security services, insurance certificates and permits. Failure to do so will result in loss of the reservation. If special circumstances prevent you from complying with this requirement, please contact the COE facilities office immediately after submitting your reservation request to make alternate arrangements.
Weekend events, conferences and other events with more than 25 attendees, as well as events that involve catering or other food service, are required to submit a request to Physical Plant - Campus Services for cleaning, extra trash bins and/or extra recycling bins. These services will be recharged directly to the organizer. Users may not opt out of this policy to assume personal responsibility for cleaning.
As a rule, our auditoriums and conference rooms are equipped with a projector, screen and speakers. Contact the COE facilities office well in advance of your reservation for use instructions or to test the on-site equipment. All other staging requirements such as video recording and webcasting should be arranged through Educational Technology Services.
- All food served must be professionally catered. Suppliers not registered with Procurement Services must provide proof of insurance (see below).
- A food permit from Environment, Health & Safety is required for events open to the public or if admission is being charged.
- If you plan to barbecue, you must obtain an open-flame cooking permit from Environment, Health & Safety. Fires, candles and hotplates are not allowed in any of our facilities.
Proof of insurance
- If the organizer books a caterer, florist, musician or other supplier who will be in the building providing services for the event, the supplier must provide proof of insurance, unless the supplier has already completed this step with Procurement Services.
- Suppliers should visit Procurement Services to review guidelines for insurance certificates and for a sample certificate.
- Guidelines for completing the certificate of insurance:
- General liability insurance with at least $1 million worth of coverage is required.
- Individual or company name must be listed on the policy as Insured.
- The Regents of the University of California must be listed as Additional Insured.
- The certificate must list the insurer’s name and contact information.
- The policy start and end date must be valid and listed on the certificate.
- Auto liability insurance with at least $1 million worth of coverage is required if a company employee will be driving on university property.
- Proof of worker’s compensation coverage is required if a company employee will be working on university property.
- Completed certificates of insurance must be emailed to email@example.com or delivered to the facilities office at 205 McLaughlin Hall, College of Engineering, UC Berkeley, Berkeley CA 94720-1700.
- Be sure to review the Campus Alcoholic Beverage Policy.
- If alcohol will be served, the organizer must fill out an application to serve alcoholic beverages at a campus event.
- The application must be approved by the sponsor, the COE facilities office and the UC Police Department. A copy of UCPD’s final approval must be submitted to the COE facilities office.
- No alcohol may be served at a student event without a faculty sponsor who will be present for the duration of the event.
- No alcohol may be served at any events where undergraduates are in attendance.
- Space access and key check-out must be arranged with the COE facilities office no later than three business days in advance.
- No signs, banners, posters or decorations may be nailed or tacked in any way to interior walls.
- Materials may be posted using blue painter’s tape only — no scotch tape, masking tape, packing tape, etc.
- Banners may be draped on a table or affixed to a podium with blue painter’s tape.
- Damage to the walls will be repaired and recharged to the chartstring provided.
- All interior and exterior signs must be removed at the end of the event.
The sponsoring department or organization using College of Engineering facilities takes responsibility for:
- Any damage to the building, equipment or furnishings caused by persons attending the event.
- Any required services that accrue from the reservation.
- Enforcing UC Berkeley’s alcohol use policy and tobacco-free policy.
- Restoring the facilities to their original state after the event.
- The College of Engineering is not responsible for items left on the premises by the organizer or guests. All goods and equipment must be removed from the premises immediately following the conclusion of the event.
- The COE facilities office may, at its sole discretion, place additional requirements on your reservation, such as extra security for high-profile guests.
- All reservations are subject to cancellation by the College of Engineering dean’s office.
- Exceptions to any of these policies are not valid unless approved in writing by the college’s assistant dean of facilities and capital projects.
The COE facilities office reserves the right to refuse future reservations to departments or organizations that do not comply with these policies.