The Transfer-to-Excellence (TTE) Summer Research Program is a competitive merit-based summer internship for California community college students. This is a residential program consisting of nine-weeks of hands-on research experiences in the laboratories of UC Berkeley professors. TTE participants also have access to enrichment activities to enhance their overall preparation and confidence to pursue studies in science and engineering and, eventually, a career that applies their technical education. This program is jointly funded by an NSF REU Site grant, the Hopper Dean Foundation, and the College of Engineering.
Exciting research areas
The TTE Summer Research Program provides research experience for undergraduates in different disciplines within the College of Engineering. For more details on possible projects, see past projects.
Tentatively: Friday, June 10–Saturday, August 13, 2022
- 9-week research experience
- Hands-on research guided by faculty sponsors and graduate student mentors
- Seminars on preparing for a career in science and engineering
- Advising and support for transfer to a 4-year institution
- Guest speakers, lab tours, and field trips
- $3,600 stipend plus room and board
- Travel allowance (up to $300)
- Participation in UC Berkeley’s Transfer Alliance Project (TAP), and TTE Online Mentoring program upon return to community college.
Register and attend an info session:
- Wednesday, October 27, 4–5 p.m. (part of Berkeley Engineering community college webinar series)
- Monday, November 15, 12–1 p.m.
- Tuesday, November 30, 7–8 p.m.
- Thursday, December 9, 6–7 p.m.
- Friday, January 14, 3–4 p.m.
- Watch our recorded 2020 info session here
More ways to explore TTE:
- Explore past TTE research projects – many of the same faculty participate every year!
- 2020 Berkeley Engineer article
- Read about the many successes of the 2019 cohort
- Sample 2019 in-person program calendar
- Sample 2021 remote program calendar
- Enrolled in a California community college at the time of application.
- At least eighteen years of age by April 1, 2022.
- 3.0 grade point average or higher for science, engineering, and math courses
- Completed two semester calculus courses, or three quarter calculus courses, by June 10, 2022.
- Completed three science or engineering courses, one of which has a laboratory component, by June 10, 2022.
- Plan to return to a community college in California in Fall 2022.
- Plan to apply for transfer admission to a baccalaureate program in science or engineering in Fall 2022 (for Fall 2023 start).
- Due to funding restrictions, international students utilizing F-1 of J-1 visas are not eligible for this program. Starting in 2020, undocumented students are encouraged to apply.
- No prior research experience required.
Community college students who are the first in their family to go to college, come from low-income backgrounds, are from underserved communities, and/or are women, and/or veterans are encouraged to apply.
Apply to the 2022 TTE cohort
Application available Wednesday, November 10, 2021 through Sunday, January 30, 2022
- This document is provided so that students can preview the application questions and prepare their responses only. All interested students must submit an online application via submittable.com
- Check back in October to download this document
- Attach your transcripts, sample work, and emails of two people who can write letters of recommendation for you.
- Your recommenders will receive an automated email with instructions to submit your letter of recommendation. Please remind them that they will be receiving an email from either TTE or Submittable with directions on how to submit their letters. If they are not receiving the emails, please have them check their spam/junk folders.
- Students must submit the application in order for Letter of Recommendation notifications to be sent out to your recommenders. We suggest that you give your recommenders as much time as possible to submit, so it is in your best interest to do this application as soon as possible. You will then be able to edit your responses up until the deadline and any information submitted prior to then will not be evaluated.
- Please note that upon initial submission, you will not be able to immediately go back and edit your responses. First it needs to be approved by the program staff. We approve applications within 2 business days after being submitted, so please check back at a later time in order to edit your responses.
- All applications and letters of recommendations must be received by Sunday, January 30 at 11:59 p.m. PST. Late and incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
Contact Nicole McIntyre, TTE program director and manager of transfer success initiatives: email@example.com