2021-22 Humanities and Social Sciences
Search 2021-22 guide
To promote a rich and varied educational experience outside of the technical requirements for each major, the College of Engineering has a Humanities and Social Sciences (H/SS) breadth requirement built into all of the programs of study. Follow these guidelines to fulfill this requirement:
- Complete a minimum of 6 approved H/SS courses.
- Courses must be a minimum of 3 semester units (or 4 quarter units).
- 2 of the 6 courses must fulfill the College’s Reading and Composition (R&C) requirement.
- These courses must be taken for a letter grade (C- or better required).
- The first half (R&C Part A) must be completed by the end of your freshman year (before your 3rd semester); the second half (R&C Part B) must be completed by no later than the end of the sophomore year (before your 5th semester).
- Students can use the Class Schedule to view R&C courses offered in a given semester.
- Only R&C Part A can be fulfilled with an AP, IB, or A-Level exam score. Test scores do not fulfill R&C Part B for College of Engineering students.
- The 4 additional courses must be chosen from the following lists in the Class Schedule using the filters in the left sidebar, and can be taken on a pass/no pass basis (see restrictions below):
- UC requirements:
- American History
- American Institutions
- UC campus requirement
- American Cultures (must be at least 3 units and you must achieve a grade of P or C- or better)
- L&S Breadth Lists:
- Arts & Literature
- Historical Studies
- International Studies
- Philosophy & Values
- Social & Behavioral Science
- Approved foreign language courses
- UC requirements:
- A maximum of 2 of the 6 H/SS courses may be met by AP, IB, or A-Level exam scores. View the list of exams that can be applied toward H/SS requirements for reference.
- At least 2 of the 6 H/SS courses must be upper-division (courses numbered 100-196).
- Courses may fulfill multiple categories across University, Campus, and College requirements. For example, taking HISTORY 127AC will satisfy the American Cultures requirement and one of the upper-division H/SS course requirements.
- Courses that fulfill the six H/SS requirements must be unique and cannot overlap with other H/SS requirements. For example, AGRS R44 can fulfill either R&C Part A, or R&C Part B, or a different lower-division H/SS requirement.
- No courses offered by an Engineering department may be used to complete an H/SS requirement other than: BIOENG 100, COMPSCI C79, ENGIN 125, ENGIN 157AC, ENGIN 185, or MECENG 191K.
- Special topics courses of 3 semester units or more will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
- Courses numbered 97, 98, 99, or above 196 cannot be used to complete the H/SS requirement.