Add/Drop/Change in Grading Option Deadlines
The deadlines for College of Engineering undergraduates are as follows:
- Deadline to add courses: 11:59 pm (PST) on Friday of the fifth week of instruction through Tele-BEARS.
- Deadline to drop a course on the early-drop deadline list: 11:59pm (PST) on Friday of the second week of instruction through Tele-BEARS.
- Deadline to drop courses not on the early-drop deadline list: 11:59pm (PST) on Friday of the fifth week of instruction through Tele-BEARS. Last day a student can change their grading option using Tele-BEARS: 11:59pm (PST) on Friday of the fifth week of instruction.
- Deadline for a graduating senior (on the official degree list) to elect to take a technical course not required for graduation on a P/NP basis: 11:59pm (PST) on Friday of the fifth week of instruction.
- Deadline to change the grading option for Hum/SS courses: 4:45pm (PST) on Friday of the tenth week. Form must be submitted to Engineering Student Services in 230 Bechtel Hall by the 4:45pm deadline.
Adding or Dropping Courses; Change in Grading Option
College of Engineering students are able to add and drop classes using Tele-BEARS through the end of the fifth week of instruction. Students are able to change their grading option using Tele-BEARS through the end of the fifth week of instruction; students must meet with their Engineering Student Services Adviser in 230 Bechtel Hall to change their grading option during weeks 6-10.
Courses may be dropped by the stated 5th week deadline provided that the student is enrolled in at least 12 units and at least two letter graded technical courses. Changes to the grading option may be made by the stated deadlines to non-technical courses only. Technical courses, whether required of the major or not, must be taken for a letter grade. Note: During the final semester, if a student is on the official degree list, they may take technical courses on a P/NP basis if the courses are not required for graduation. The deadline for a graduating senior to elect to take a technical course P/NP is Friday of the fifth week of instruction. Graduating seniors may not change a technical course to P/NP after the fifth week for any reason.
According to College of Engineering policy, adds, drops and changes of grading options are not permitted past the deadlines stated above in Add/Drop/Change in Grading Option Deadlines except in cases of unexpected circumstances that arise during the semester. The words “unexpected circumstances” are considered to include:
- Serious illness, accident, or personal/legal problem afflicting the student. Documentation will be required. The problem must be one that makes it unreasonable for a student to continue the original program of study.
- Illness of a family member, but only when this compels a student to be absent for a long time to care for the sick relative or to look after his or her affairs. Again, documentation will be required.
- Involuntary increase in working hours. A letter from the employer must be submitted, stating that the increase is both unexpected and required.
- A decision to leave the College of Engineering. In this case the student must sign an agreement acknowledging they must apply for a change of college and would not be eligible to enroll as a College of Engineering student in any future semester.
Situations that resemble the above will be carefully considered. See your ESS Adviser to begin the process of petitioning for a change of class schedule after the deadline. Students should expect that requests not falling into one of the above four categories will generally not be approved.
NOTE: Courses for which academic dishonesty has been verified by established campus procedures may not be dropped from the record. Grades for such courses will be reinstated to the record when dishonesty is verified.
Pass/Not Passed Grading Option
The deadline to change a grading option in a humanities and social science course or a non-technical free elective is Friday of the tenth week of the semester. NOTE: Courses taken to fulfill the College Reading and Composition requirement may not be taken P/NP.
Technical courses (courses in engineering, mathematics, chemistry, physics, statistics, biological sciences and computer science) may NOT be taken Pass/Not Passed with on exceptions. Students in their final semester ( and on the official degree list for that semester) may petition to take technical courses not needed for their degree on a P/NP basis. The deadline to make a request to take a technical course in your final semester on a P/NP basis is Friday of the fifth week of instruction. No requests to take technical courses in the final semester will be approved after the fifth week of classes.