When should I go?

The typical time to study abroad is at the start of junior year, but UCEAP has created summer and semester programs geared toward sophomores who need to fulfill breadth requirements or for those who want to learn a language. Freshmen can apply as early as January to participate in UCEAP’s sophomore-oriented programs, which start in the summer or fall.

Students who choose to wait until senior year may still be able to successfully incorporate study abroad into their degree program, though it can affect graduation plans. Senior residency is an important campus and college requirement. Students who want to study abroad their senior year should discuss this requirement and ways to fulfill it with their ESS adviser.