University of California requirements

The university sets two general requirements for the baccalaureate degree: Entry-Level Writing and American History and Institutions.

Entry-level writing

The university assumes you are proficient in English and in writing about academic topics. If you have not taken the Analytical Writing Placement Examination (AWPE) or otherwise fulfilled the Entry-Level Writing requirement by the time you enter the university, you should take the AWPE during your first semester. If you took the AWPE and did not pass, you should enroll in College Writing R1A during your first semester. College Writing R1A is a 6-unit course that satisfies the Entry-Level Writing requirement and the first half of the Reading and Composition requirement.

For more information on satisfying the Entry-Level Writing requirement, visit the College Writing Programs website.

American history and institutions

The American History and Institutions requirements are based on the principle that a U.S. resident graduating from an American university should have an understanding of the history and governmental institutions of the United States. These requirements may be satisfied before or after you enroll at Berkeley. The Office of the Registrar can provide more information.