UC Extension enrollment

Units earned in UC Berkeley Extension XB courses or Berkeley courses completed through the UC Extension Concurrent Enrollment Program will be counted toward your degree only in the following circumstances:

  • If you are required to complete academic requirements for graduation, and you have obtained approval from the college.
  • If you have obtained permission from the college prior to taking courses.
  • If you were dismissed, and you have developed an academic plan with your Engineering Student Services (ESS) Adviser.

Grades earned in UC Berkeley Extension XB or Concurrent Enrollment courses will be included in your UC Berkeley grade-point computation. If you have been dismissed by the College of Engineering, however, your grades will only count toward your UC Berkeley GPA if you obtained the college’s approval prior to taking the courses.

NOTE: Students enrolled in UC Extension are not part of UC Berkeley and units completed are not considered "in residence." International students should work with the Berkeley International Office if they will be completing their degree through concurrent enrollment.

In order to take courses through UC Extension Concurrent Enrollment, you must complete the following steps:

  1. Meet with your ESS Adviser to request approval to take courses through UC Extensions Concurrent Enrollment Program.
  2. Enroll in the classes online. Visit the UC Extension Concurrent Enrollment Program for details on how to register.
  3. Obtain approval for enrollment from the course instructor and the department chair. This is done electronically. You are expected to discuss the possibility of enrolling with the instructor during the first week of classes. Enrollment is based on availability of space in the class.