ESS updates in response to COVID-19
Update on the P/NP course grading policy for Fall 2020 and Spring 2021
Deadline to change grading option (letter grade or P/NP) for non-degree tech courses and H/SS courses (except R&C) has been extended to Thursday, December 3 at 11:59 p.m. Students can change their own grading options in CalCentral.
Deadline to change grading option (letter grade or P/NP) for non-degree tech courses has been extended to Friday, October 30.
Fall semester update, student resources for remote instruction
Fall 2020 instruction FAQ for GSI concerns
Campus has announced plans for limited in-person classes for Fall 2020. Officials will announce decisions about which courses will be offered in-person in July.
The staff of Engineering Student Services hope you are staying healthy during these unprecedented times. We would like to inform you of some actions we are taking in response to COVID-19.
Fall 2020 schedule adjustments
We want to make sure you are aware of a few of our policies that may apply to you during this unusual and challenging time.
(fewer than 12 units for the semester)
We want to make sure you are aware that there is a petition process for dropping courses after the deadline (Friday, September 4 for EDD courses, Friday, September 16 for all other courses). The deadline to submit a late drop petition is Friday, December 4.
Students in good standing can take certain courses pass/no pass.
In some cases it may be appropriate for you to ask your professor for an incomplete in a course if your work in the course has been of passing quality and you are unable to complete the course for reasons beyond your control.
We encourage you to make an appointment with your ESS adviser to discuss pursuing a reduced course load or dropping a course after the deadline.
The Basic Needs Center is continuing to provide services during these challenging times. Students and staff may be facing increased vulnerability to basic needs insecurity during disruptions in school, work, transportation, and family care. This living document is frequently updated with resource information on access to food, emergency housing services, and wage/work accommodation issues.
Student emergency needs fund
If you are experiencing unexpected financial hardships due to the COVID-19 situation please visit the Student Emergency Needs Fund page.
Mental health resources
- Counseling and Psychological Services
- UHS Mental Health Resources website
- UHS Be Well website
- Stress & Anxiety Management
- ESS virtual front desk is available for quick questions or help in finding the correct resource(s).
- ESS advisers are available for online-only appointments.
- Academic support, including group tutoring, is available online.
- UHS counseling for engineering students is available for online appointments.
- University Health Services has mental health resources available online.
- Career counseling is available online. For details about specific services, visit their website or contact them via email.
- UC Berkeley libraries have remote resources available.