T-PREP: Transfer Pre-Engineering Program
Berkeley Engineering’s Transfer Pre-Engineering Program (T-PREP) is an eighteen-day summer program offered to incoming Berkeley Engineering transfer students. The transition from a community college to a major research university can be challenging, and transfer students often underestimate the degree of change. Students who participate in T-PREP will be fully prepared to meet the rigors of being a junior in the College of Engineering. T-PREP is just one of the many support services offered by Engineering Student Services.
There are three main thrusts of Berkeley’s Transfer Pre-Engineering Program:
- Academic Component: T-PREP students will attend primer seminars based on coursework in their majors. Participants will make valuable connections with other incoming transfer students and T-PREP alumni.
- Professional Development Component: T-PREP students will be ready to hit the ground running for fall career fairs and find out what it takes to get into graduate school. Landing a dream job is a journey and it starts with T-PREP!
- Design Component: T-PREP students will work with engineering Professor Scott Moura in the Jacobs Institute of Design Innovation. Working with a team, students will create a prototype using the SPRINT design process. At the end of the program they'll showcase the team's product at the Design Expo to industry representatives (such as Chevron and Micron) and Berkeley Engineering faculty.
Do I qualify for T-PREP?
All incoming Berkeley Engineering community college transfer students are invited to apply for T-PREP. The program focuses on the academic issues facing students from groups who are:
- Students from Non-Traditional Backgrounds in Engineering
- First-generation College students (meaning that neither parent has completed a four year degree in the US)
- Pell Grant Eligible
- Non-traditionally aged
- Student Parents
- U.S. veterans
When is T-PREP offered?
T-PREP is an eighteen-day program, July 30 - August 16, 2019, right before Golden Bear Orientation. You must be available to fully commit to the entire three-week program.
What is the cost of T-PREP?
Through the generous support of our sponsors — Berkeley Engineering Annual Fund, RECARE Foundation, Chevron, GM, Boeing, and Brian & Lisa Davis — T-PREP is free. You will not be responsible for lodging, food, books and class time are all provided. A small amount of spending money is all you’ll need.
How do I apply?
The application is available online. T-PREP applicants will be admitted on a rolling basis, so apply early. All students will be notified no later than June 1.