Simultaneous degrees

A simultaneous degree is the pursuit of two majors in two different colleges or schools at UC Berkeley. Students pursuing a simultaneous degree must complete all college/school and major requirements for both programs. 

Your application for a simultaneous degree will be considered only when ALL of the following requirements have been met:

  • At least two semesters have been completed at UC Berkeley.
  • Your overall and technical GPA is a 3.0 or higher.
  • If you are currently in another school or college other than Engineering:
    • You must have been admitted to UCB as a freshman.
    • You must meet all Change of College application criteria and adhere to the Change of College deadlines for submission of your application.
  • If you are currently in the College of Engineering:
    • You should meet with your ESS Adviser to discuss your plans.
    • You must meet all criteria for the second major you wish to add.
    • If you started at UCB as a freshman, you must submit by the end of your sixth semester of enrollment.
    • If you were admitted to UCB as a transfer student in COE, you must submit by the end of your second semester of enrollment at UCB.
  • Your program includes no more than two upper division courses (used to satisfy major requirements) which overlap. Note: There is no limit on the number of courses used to satisfy breadth or humanities requirements that may overlap.
  • Your program must include a minimum of five upper division courses distinct to each set of major requirements (5 classes beyond any that overlap).
  • If a ninth semester (fifth semester for transfer students) is necessary to complete your simultaneous degree program, the request MUST be made at the time of application. You must indicate that by listing the courses you would enroll in during that additional semester on your planned program. The request for an additional semester will be reviewed as a part of your simultaneous degree application. 

For a list of the other colleges and their office locations, please refer to the campus academics website.