Instructions for securing in place
McLaughlin Hall Emergency Plan
There may be situations when a location should be secured to prevent entry. This will usually be due to the possible presence of a violent intruder. If a secure-in-place or lockdown order is given employees should follow these procedures to ensure their safety.
Choose a room
- No or few windows
- Exterior doors and windows close completely and can be locked
- A hard-wired telephone is ideal
Secure the room
- Lock and block doors
- Close window shades, turn off lights
- Stay low and away from doors and windows
- Silence cell phones
- Do not congregate in one portion of the room
- Hide under desks or behind furniture
- When first responders arrive, follow instructions and keep hands visible. Avoid yelling and pointing.
Additional information and training on Targeted Violence is available through UCPD.