Leave of absence

The College of Engineering regularly approves leaves of absences for internships and study abroad. Students who need to take a leave of absence for personal reasons, family emergencies or illness should meet with their Engineering Student Services (ESS) Adviser.  If you must complete mandatory military duty or other obligatory service, the college strongly suggests that you complete this service either prior to enrolling at UC Berkeley or after completion of your degree. The faculty of the college feel that extended absences that interrupt your academic studies are detrimental to mastering the material. Additionally, requirements of the college are subject to change and lengthy absences may mean you have to take additional courses to meet new requirements.