Independent, group and field studies courses

Limitations to special studies courses

  • Courses numbered 97, 98, 99, 197, 198 and 199 must be taken on a Pass/Not Pass basis and cannot satisfy any technical requirements.
  • There are limitations on the number of units a student may earn toward graduation, and in each semester, for special studies courses (courses numbered 97, 98, 99, 197, 198 and 199). No more than 16 units of 98, 99, 197, 198 and 199 courses can be counted toward the B.S. degree, and no more than 4 units in any single term can be counted.

Approvals required for enrollment in independent and field studies courses

If you are interested in pursuing independent study or participating in research for academic credit (normally courses numbered 198 or 199), you should review the information on your major departments website regarding procedures for obtaining credit for undergraduate research/independent study. You begin the process by obtaining the support of a faculty person who will sponsor your work. Most departments require faculty sponsors to complete and sign paperwork acknowledging their support of your research/study, and on that basis, the department will provide a permission number for registration. Some departments do offer letter graded research units (normally courses numbered H194 or 196).