Classes of 2020 & 2021 commencement
Master’s degree ceremony
Date: Saturday, May 7, 2022
Time: 9:00 a.m.
Location: Hearst Greek Theatre
Baccalaureate degree ceremony
Date: Saturday, May 7, 2022
Time: 2:00 p.m.
Location: Hearst Greek Theatre
Please note graduates may purchase a MAXIMUM OF 3 GUEST TICKETS.
- A link to purchase tickets will be emailed in April 2022. Graduates may purchase a maximum of 3 guest tickets; the ticket price is $5 each. All guests (regardless of age) must have a ticket to gain admittance to commencement. Graduates must register to participate, but do not need to purchase a ticket.
- The deadline to register is Friday, April 8. Graduates registering after the April 8 deadline are welcome to walk in the ceremony, but their names will not be printed in the program and they are not guaranteed the maximum number of guest tickets.
- All commencement ticket sales are final. No refunds, no exceptions.
- Disability accommodations for graduates and guests: If you or any of your guests require accommodations for disabilities (e.g., wheelchair seating, sign language interpreter, etc.), please fill out the Special Seating Request form. For questions, please contact email@example.com.
- Important note regarding seating at the Greek Theatre: All seating is general admission, not reserved, on a first-come, first-served basis, and it is possible that guests may have to climb the steep steps to sit on the grassy hillside above the concrete bleacher seating. Once the concrete bleacher seating area has reached capacity, guests will be directed to the lawn by Greek Theatre staff.
- The Greek Theatre is open to the elements, and you and your guests should be prepared for any kind of weather and a wide range of temperatures. There are no indoor, temperature-controlled areas at the Greek Theatre. It may be very cold on a foggy morning, becoming very hot if the sun comes out. Sunscreen is highly recommended, as are blankets and/or layered clothing. Guests and students should dress accordingly. Guests, especially those with heat or sun sensitivities, are encouraged to bring factory-sealed bottled water and umbrellas for shade (or rain if necessary). Commencement will take place rain or shine.
- The Greek Theatre/UCPD will be checking bags at all of the entrance gates. The following items are PROHIBITED inside the Greek Theatre:
- Large bags or backpacks
- Noise-makers / air horns
- Balloons (may be tied-off at the entrance gates at own discretion)
- Baby strollers (designated parking is available just inside the gate)
- Glass bottles / aluminum cans
- Alcoholic beverages
- Coolers / ice chests
- Skateboards / bicycles / scooters
- Musical instruments
- Rolls of toilet paper
- Signs / banners / flags
- Tripods for cameras
- Animals (with the exception of documented service animals)
- Lawn furniture or chairs (small blankets, cushions, and low-backed stadium seats are OK)
- Any items that can be perceived as weapons
The class of 2020 & 2021 baccalaureate and masters degree commencement ceremonies will be webcast live on Saturday, May 7; they will also be archived online for future viewing. Engineering commencement ceremony videos from previous years can be found on the Berkeley Engineering YouTube channel.
If you wish to invite overseas relatives to come to the United States to attend your commencement ceremony, we recommend that you follow the instructions provided by the Berkeley International Office on how to help family obtain a visitor visa or to come to the U.S. under the Visa Waiver Program. Berkeley Engineering does not produce letters of invitation for the purpose of inviting students’ family members to visit the United States. If you have any questions or need further assistance, please send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Students are responsible for providing their own regalia, if they would like to wear it for their ceremony. Regalia is not required. Caps and gowns may be purchased from the Cal Student Store. For more information regarding caps and gowns, graduation announcements and ordering yearbooks, please visit their website or store at 2495 Bancroft Way. Store hours are Monday through Friday 9 a.m.–6 p.m., Saturday 10 a.m.– 6 p.m., Sunday 11 a.m.–5 p.m. Watch short videos on how to wear academic regalia on the Berkeley Engineering YouTube channel.
More information will be provided once registration opens.
EOP graduation gown lending project
The Educational Opportunity Program (EOP) graduation gown lending project helps to support first generation and low income UC Berkeley students with free rental of graduation gowns. Please consider donating any black graduation gowns you may own to EOP to help future first-generation and low-income students be the next cohort to celebrate commencement from Berkeley. To see how you can donate, please contact EOP at email@example.com or (510) 642-7224.
Parking options are still being coordinated. Please check back for additional updates.
The College of Engineering has made arrangements with GradImages Photo to photograph every graduate at the moment the scroll is given. For more information about ordering photos, visit the GradImages website.
The names of degree candidates who register for commencement by April 8 will be printed in the print program. After June 1, 2022, if you would like to receive additional copies of the commencement program, email your name, address, and the number of copies you are requesting to firstname.lastname@example.org. Upon request, PDF versions of commencement programs from 2012 to the present are also available for download and printing.
The Greek Theatre is an outdoor venue. You will not be required to show proof of a vaccination or a negative COVID-19 test to enter. Face coverings are required indoors (e.g. restrooms), and optional but recommended when seated outdoors during the ceremony. Visit the FAQ for more public health recommendations.
Please note changes may be made to entrance requirements in the months leading up to the ceremony. Please check back for updates.