The Transfer-to-Excellence (TTE) Summer Research Program is a competitive summer internship for California community college students. This is a residential program consisting of nine-weeks of hands-on research experience in the laboratories of UC Berkeley science and engineering professors. TTE interns also participate in enrichment activities to enhance their preparation and confidence to transfer to a four-year university and pursue a career that applies their technical education. This program is jointly funded by an NSF REU Site grant, the Hopper Dean Foundation, and the College of Engineering.
Exciting research areas
The TTE Summer Research Program provides research experience for undergraduates in different disciplines within the College of Engineering. For more details on possible projects, view the potential faculty hosts and past intern projects.
- 8-9-weeks of hands-on research guided by faculty sponsors and graduate student mentors
- Advising and support for transfer to a 4-year institution
- Seminars on preparing for a careers in science and engineering
- Guest speakers, lab tours, and field trips
- $4,000 stipend plus room and board
- Travel allowance up to $350
- Participation in UC Berkeley’s Transfer Alliance Project (TAP)
60% of participants transfer to UC Berkeley!
86% of participants transfer to a UC campus
97% of past participants have transferred to a bachelors in STEM program
96% of participants are from one or more groups underrepresented in STEM
TTE info session with Marcia Breslin-Cantillana, Student Engagement Manager.
More ways to explore TTE:
- Explore past TTE research projects – many of the same faculty participate every year!
- Download and share the 2024 program flyer
- Recent publications:
- Positive Effects of Summer Research Program on Diverse Community College Students (2020)
- Transferring Excellence (2020)
- Career Development Impacts of a Research Program on Graduate Student and Postdoc Mentors (2020)
- Pandemic Pivots: The Successful Transition of an NSF Research Internship to an Online Format (2021)
Minimum eligibility criteria
Transfer-to-Excellence has a competitive application process. Applications not meeting the minimum eligibility criteria will not be reviewed by the admissions committee.
- No prior research experience required
- Enrolled in a California community college at the time of application.
- High school students in dual-enrollment programs will not be considered.
- 3.0 grade point average or higher for science, engineering, and math courses
- Will have completed two semester calculus courses, or three quarter calculus courses, by June 9, 2024. May be fulfilled by AP or IB test scores
- Will have completed three science or engineering courses, one of which has a laboratory component, by June 9, 2024. May be fulfilled by AP or IB test scores
- Will return to a community college in California in Fall 2024
- Will apply for transfer admission to a baccalaureate program in science or engineering in Fall 2024 (for Fall 2025 start)
- At least eighteen years of age by April 1, 2024
- Due to funding restrictions, international students utilizing F-1 of J-1 visas are unfortunately not eligible for this program
- Undocumented students are encouraged to apply
Community college students who receive financial aid, are the first in their family to go to college, are women, are veterans, and/or are members of other communities underrepresented in STEM are strongly encouraged to apply.
2024 Program dates
In Summer 2023, the program started on June 9 and ended on August 12, 2023. Our dates for Summer 2024 will be similar but have not been finalized yet. Please visit this page again to see our updated calendar.
Apply to TTE
Application for Summer 2024: The application will be live the second week of December 2023 and will be due on February 11, 2024. The deadline to submit the letters of recommendation is February 16. All applicants will receive admission decisions by mid-April.
You may want to review the FAQ and application preview packet. This document is provided so that students can preview the application questions and prepare their responses only. It should not be submitted. Please note that the application format has changed.
Step 1: Complete the online application The application link will be live the second week of December 2023
- Attach your transcripts
Step 2: Once you complete your application, you will be directed to a page with instructions to provide your references’ information. Your recommenders will receive an automated email with instructions to submit your letter of recommendation. Please remind them that they will be receiving an email from UC Berkeley with directions on how to submit their letters. If they are not receiving the emails, please have them check their spam/junk folders.
- All applications are due on February 11, 2024 at 11:59 p.m. PST. All letters of recommendations must be received by Friday, February 16 at 11:59 p.m. PST. Late and incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
Contact Marcia Breslin-Cantillana, Student Engagement Manager, Engineering Student Services.