Joint majors

Studying on Trefethen TerracePhoto by Noah Berger

The joint major programs are designed for students who wish to undertake study in two major areas of engineering in order to qualify for employment in either field, or for positions in which competence in two fields is required. These curricula include the core concepts in each of the major fields. Although they may require increased course loads, they can be completed in four years, and the joint major is shown on the student’s transcript. Joint majors lie at the intersection between two fields and cannot be cataloged in a specific bin; therefore, they are not ABET (Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology) accredited programs* (note that there are many highly ranked engineering programs, such as Bioengineering at Berkeley, that are not ABET accredited). However, joint majors (like all engineering majors at Berkeley) are, and will continue to be, accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC).

*Note: Students who were admitted to Berkeley Fall 2016 or earlier who wish to pursue a joint major will graduate from an ABET accredited program (other than BioE/MSE which was never ABET accredited). Refer to your ESS or faculty adviser for details.

The joint major programs currently offered are listed below:

Two more joint majors are administered by the College of Chemistry:

  • Chemical Engineering/Materials Science & Engineering
  • Chemical Engineering/Nuclear Engineering

You may apply for a joint major after meeting the following criteria:

  • Minimum UC GPA of 3.0.
  • You are held to the same criteria and guidelines as those listed in the Change of Major section. You must meet the criteria of both departments, which can include specific GPA and course completion requirements.
  • Transfer admits are only eligible to change to a joint major that includes the major to which they were admitted (i.e., EECS→EECS/MSE or MSE→MSE/ME).
  • Students admitted through change of college are not eligible to change to a joint major after they have been admitted to COE.
  • You must submit a change of major application to your ESS Adviser before your 7th semester begins if you were admitted as a freshman, or before your 3rd semester begins if you were admitted as a transfer.

Note: If you wish to change from a joint major to a single major you must meet the Change of Major requirements for that major.