So you want to hybridize your field of study, but your choice of a joint major isn’t offered. We’ll work with you to combine two distinct majors within the College of Engineering to create your own unique major.
If you are interested in pursuing a double major, you must meet the following requirements:
- You were admitted as a freshman to COE; transfer students and change of college admits are not eligible to apply for a double major.
- You must have completed at least two semesters at UC Berkeley.
- You must be in good academic standing.
- You may use no more than 5 upper division technical courses to overlap between the two programs.
- You must complete a minimum of 5 upper division technical courses distinct to each major (e.g. 5 classes beyond any that overlap).
- If a 9th semester is required to complete the double major, your request for the extra semester must be made at the time of application. Requests for an additional semester are generally approved. Consult with your ESS Adviser for more information on the 9th semester for double major students.
- You must submit your application for a double major to your ESS Adviser before your 7th semester begins.
- A minimum UC GPA of 3.0 is needed to be considered for the double major. However, some majors require a higher GPA and some majors require a minimum technical GPA as well. Consult with your ESS Adviser about specific course requirements.
- Some majors also require a minimum number of prerequisite courses to be completed prior to admission. Consult with your ESS Adviser about specific course requirements.