We plan to recruit 6-10 students for our inaugural cohort of ambassadors. Applicants will be reviewed on a rolling basis, and we plan to complete our hiring by October 2022.
Example activities are listed below. Ambassadors will also have the opportunity to suggest activities.
- Facilitating hands-on activities or leading presentations as part of a class or after-school program in local K-12 schools
- Supporting departments and student organizations with marketing their K-12 programs
- Leading hands-on activities during community festivals or K-12 school events
- Leading tours of UC Berkeley’s Engineering buildings
- Participating in student panels
- Supporting community organizations that are using our facilities
- Creating social media and blog posts to share their experiences as a Berkeley Engineering student
- Supporting Berkeley Engineering’s K-12 Outreach Team with planning, preparing for events, and our overall activities
- Work Study: Job # 5446878532
- Handshake: Job # 6860188
- Start date: when filled
- Location: primarily on-campus
- Hourly rate: $19
- Work hours: variable
- Number of open positions: 10
Interested in becoming an ambassador?
The mission of Berkeley Engineering’s K-12 Outreach Team is to diversify the engineering pipeline by providing educational opportunities for all students — whether or not they’re UC-bound. Our K-12 outreach program supports underserved communities throughout California and advances the recruitment of nontraditional applicants to the College of Engineering.
We are looking for students who are excited about working with K-12 students and supporting the K-12 Outreach Team’s work. Our goal is to select a pool of ambassadors who reflect the diversity of UC Berkeley’s student population. We are seeking candidates who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds of California’s K-12 students.
- Full-time undergraduate student in the College of Engineering*
- * Exceptions will be considered, including for students majoring in Chemical Engineering or CS in the College of Letters and Science
- Pass a background check
- Maintain a GPA of at least 3.0
- Be enrolled at UC Berkeley at least one full semester prior to the application period (i.e., must have enrolled by the spring semester of 2021-22)
- Have a minimum of two semesters remaining (i.e., not graduating until May 2023 or later)
- Able to work in-person
- Interested in sharing your experiences with younger students
- Work well independently and as part of a team
- Are reliable and take initiative
- Highly motivated, energetic, and dependable
- Communicate reliably and effectively
- Follow oral and written instructions
- Previous experience working with K-12 students
- Morning or afternoon availability on at least 1 or 2 weekdays during the semester
- Fluent in another language