2015-16 Joint majors


Engineering Student Services

230 Bechtel Engineering Center # 1702
Berkeley, CA 94720-1702
(510) 642-7594

Hours: Monday – Thursday, 8 a.m.–5 p.m.
Friday, 10 a.m.–5 p.m.

The joint major programs are designed for students who wish to undertake study in two major areas of engineering in order to qualify for employment in either field or for positions in which competence in two fields is required. These curricula include the core courses in each of the major fields. While they may require increased course loads, they can be completed in four years, and both majors are shown on the student’s transcript. The joint major programs currently offered are listed below. Each program is described in details on the proceeding pages.

  • Bioengineering and Materials Science and Engineering/li>
  • >Electrical Engineering and Computer Sciences and Materials Science and Engineering
  • Electrical Engineering and Computer Sciences and Nuclear Engineering
  • Materials Science and Engineering and Mechanical Engineering/li>
  • Materials Science and Engineering and Nuclear Engineering
  • Mechanical Engineering and Nuclear Engineering

Admission to a Joint Major Program

Freshman Admits. Students admitted to the College of Engineering as freshmen may apply to a joint major once they have completed two semesters at U.C. Berkeley. Historically, students need a GPA of 3.0 or higher to be admitted to a joint major program. (Students in the Engineering Undeclared program are eligible to declare a joint major if they have a GPA of at least 2.0 and are in good academic standing.) Engineering students considering a joint major are advised to meet with their adviser in Engineering Student Services to learn more about the process. See engineering.berkeley.edu/jointmajors for more information.

Junior Transfer Applicants. Junior transfers are not able to apply for joint majors. Students admitted as junior transfers who can show after one semester of attendance at the University that they would be able to complete a joint major in the time allotted, and who meet predetermined GPA requirements, may speak to their ESS adviser about the possibility of applying to a joint program. Applicants interested in a joint major with chemical engineering must apply to the College of Chemistry.

Chemical Engineering Joint Major Programs:

There are also two joint major programs in conjunction with chemical engineering offered through the College of Chemistry:

  • Chemical Engineering and Materials Science and Engineering
  • Chemical Engineering and Nuclear Engineering

Transfer students interested in a chemical engineering joint major must apply to the College of Chemistry. Current UC Berkeley students interested in one of the chemical engineering joint majors should contact the College of Chemistry for information on how to change into their college.