2013-14 Joint Majors

The joint major programs are designed for students who wish to undertake study in two major areas of engineering in order to qualify for employment in either field or for positions in which competence in two fields is required. These curricula include the core courses in each of the major fields. While they may require increased course loads, they can be completed in four years, and both majors are shown on the student’s transcript. The joint major programs currently offered are listed below. Each program is described in details on the proceeding pages.


Admission to a Joint Major Program

Freshman Admits. Students admitted to the College of Engineering as freshmen may apply to a joint major once they have completed two semesters at U.C. Berkeley. Historically, students need a GPA of 3.0 or higher to be admitted to a joint major program. (Students in the Engineering Undeclared program are eligible to declare a joint major if they have a GPA of at least 2.0 and are in good academic standing.) Engineering students considering a joint major are advised to meet with their adviser in Engineering Student Services to learn more about the process. See coe.berkeley.edu/jointmajors
for more information.

Junior Transfer Applicants. Junior transfer applicants must apply directly to one of the above joint major programs. Transfer students may not change their major after admission, so those interested in a joint major program should select carefully before submitting their application. For more details on transfer admission and requirements, see the College of Engineering Prospective Students page at coe.berkeley.edu/ prospective-students. Applicants interested in a joint major with chemical engineering must apply to the College of Chemistry.

Chemical Engineering Joint Major Programs:

There are also two joint major programs in conjunction with chemical engineering offered through the College of Chemistry:

  • Chemical Engineering and Materials Science and Engineering
  • Chemical Engineering and Nuclear Engineering

Transfer students interested in a chemical engineering joint major must apply to the College of Chemistry. Current UC Berkeley students interested in one of the chemical engineering joint majors should contact the College of Chemistry for information on how to change into their college.