Breaking News

Darren Sabedra, high school sports editor/reporter, for his Wordpress profile. (Dai Sugano/Bay Area News Group)

It’s not quite the script Kylan Nieh dreamed about as a kid, when he was a gymnast with Olympic aspirations, but it’s still a thrill.

The Fremont teenager was among 22 “inspiring Americans” chosen by Coca-Cola to carry the Olympic torch next month in Oxford, England, as part of the soft-drink company’s positive-living program.

The list of torchbearers includes 10 teenagers, former Olympic stars Michelle Kwan and Summer Sanders, and fitness guru Jake Steinfeld. They were nominated by peers, teachers and leaders of youth organizations.

“Each torchbearer’s generosity and commitment to give back to their communities near and far has inspired us,” Celeste Bottorff, a vice president of Coca-Cola North America’s Living Well program, said in a statement.

It’s no surprise that Nieh, a former Mission San Jose High School student body president, received an eye-catching nomination from his uncle.

Nieh’s outlook on life and drive to succeed, even after an injury cut short his gymnastics career, have not waned.

When Nieh quit high-level gymnastics right before starting high school, he readjusted his goals, committing himself to school, community and family.

“I used to be really, really involved in gymnastics, and my dream was to go to the Olympics,” Nieh said, remembering the seemingly endless hours he spent at the gym. “But then I chipped my elbow on the pommel horse. My whole life changed from then on.

“I got involved in school, government, set new goals for myself. Fortunately I was able to meet those goals, and now I’m going to the Olympics in a different path.”

The new path will lead Nieh, 19, and his parents to Oxford for the torch relay as the flame makes its way to London for the start of the Games. It will mark the first time Nieh, the youngest of three children, has traveled to Europe.

“I am going to be taking a lot of pictures,” said Nieh’s mother, Bettie Lee. “He fulfilled his goal. I am really proud of him.”

Fulfilling goals is nothing new to Nieh.

Even after being injured and knowing surgery was imminent, Nieh reached the Junior Olympics — another goal — before he walked away from high-level gymnastics for good.

After giving up his ultimate gymnastics dream, Nieh shifted his focus.

In high school, he cofounded a nonprofit organization called Internetting Family, which taught hundreds of seniors computer skills. That idea came about after Nieh helped care for his ailing grandmother and taught his grandparents to use a computer.

Nieh also founded WEducate, a program designed to give educational supplies to students from low-income families.

“He’s really caring,” said his father, Raymond Nieh.

Nieh’s competitive, too. At Mission San Jose, Nieh found time to earn six varsity letters — in gymnastics, which was less demanding than his high-level experience, and track and field — and become the Class of 2010 valedictorian.

He then moved on to UC Berkeley, where he is working toward degrees in computer science and business administration. He now teaches a leadership and public speaking course at the Haas School of Business and is president of Nestle-sponsored Very Best in Youth Foundation, a program that spotlights teens who have affected other people’s lives profoundly.

“I’ve found new passions now,” Nieh said.

And he’s about to fulfill an old dream, even if it’s different from those of his childhood.

“I am curious to see how heavy the torch is,” Nieh said. “I think it’s going to be a crazy day.”