PREP: Pre-Engineering Program
The Pre-Engineering Program (PREP) provides incoming, first-year engineering students with a competitive edge through coursework, advising and networking before the fall semester begins. You’ll form close bonds that will help you succeed at Berkeley and beyond. PREP is one of the many support services offered by the Center for Access to Engineering Excellence.
What are PREP’s goals?
In PREP you will:
- Develop insight into the rigors of Berkeley coursework — specifically in calculus and physics
- Network with fellow incoming freshmen
- Receive hands-on experience in group study, problem-solving and time management
- Learn what Engineering Student Services offers to make the most of your time at Berkeley, including academic advising, leadership and professional development and undergraduate research
What is the PREP experience?
PREP is an intensive program that introduces students to the demands of their first semester at Berkeley. Below is a typical schedule for one day in the program; your actual schedule may vary:
7:30–8:15 a.m. — Breakfast
8:30–10:00 a.m. — Physics
10:15–11:45 a.m. — Math
noon–1:00 p.m. — Lunch
1:15–2:15 p.m. — Workshop
2:30–3:30 p.m. — Physics discussion
3:45–4:45 p.m. — Math discussion
4:45–6:00 p.m. — Free time
6:00–7:00 p.m. — Dinner
7:15–7:45 p.m. — Small group reflection
7:45–10:00 p.m. — Study time
Do I qualify for PREP?
All incoming first-year students (including undocumented students) are invited to apply for PREP. The program focuses on the academic issues facing students from groups who are:
- Members of a group historically underrepresented in the field of engineering
- From low-income or first-generation backgrounds
When is PREP offered?
PREP is a year-long experience that begins with 10 days. You must be able to attend for the entire 10 days — no exceptions.
What is the cost of PREP?
PREP will cost you nothing. Through the generous support of our sponsors — RECARE Foundation, Apple, Boeing and the College of Engineering — PREP is free to all participants. Lodging, food, books and class time are all provided for you. A small amount of spending money is all you’ll need.
How do I apply?
Applications for PREP 2017 will be available in May 2017. For additional information, please contact Gian Bruno.