Add/Drop/Change in Grading Option Deadlines
The deadlines for College of Engineering undergraduates are as follows:
- Deadline to add courses: 11:59 pm (PST) on Friday of the fifth week of instruction through CalCentral.
- Deadline to drop a course on the early-drop deadline list: 11:59pm (PST) on Friday of the second week of instruction through CalCentral.
- Deadline to drop courses not on the early-drop deadline list: 11:59pm (PST) on Friday of the fifth week of instruction through CalCentral. Last day a student can change their grading option using CalCentral: 11:59pm (PST) on Friday of the fifth week of instruction.
- Deadline to change grading option for a technical course that cannot be used to fulfill any requirements for your major: 11:59pm (PST) on Friday of the fifth week of instruction.
- Deadline to change grading option for an H/SS course: 4:45pm (PST) on Friday of the tenth week. Form must be submitted to Engineering Student Services in 230 Bechtel Hall by the 4:45pm deadline.
Adding or Dropping Courses; Change in Grading Option
College of Engineering students are able to add and drop classes and change their grading options using CalCentral through the end of the fifth week of instruction. Technical courses must be taken for a letter grade. However, if you are taking a technical course that cannot fulfill any requirements for your major, you may change the grading option to P/NP for that course by the end of the fifth week of instruction. After the fifth week of instruction, grading option can only be changed for H/SS courses. Students must meet with their Engineering Student Services Adviser in 230 Bechtel Hall to change their grading option for H/SS courses during weeks 6-10.
Courses may be dropped by the stated 5th week deadline provided that the student will still be enrolled in at least 12 units and at least two letter graded technical courses. Changes to the grading option may be made by the stated deadlines: end of the fifth week for technical courses that cannot be used to satisfy any requirements for your major, and end of the tenth week for H/SS courses.
According to College of Engineering policy, adds, drops and changes of grading options are not permitted past the deadlines stated above in Add/Drop/Change in Grading Option Deadlines except in cases of unexpected circumstances that arise during the semester. The words "unexpected circumstances" are considered to include:
- Serious illness, accident, or personal/legal problem afflicting the student. Documentation will be required. The problem must be one that makes it unreasonable for a student to continue the original program of study.
- Illness of a family member, but only when this compels a student to be absent for a long time to care for the sick relative or to look after his or her affairs. Again, documentation will be required.
- Involuntary increase in working hours. A letter from the employer must be submitted, stating that the increase is both unexpected and required.
- A decision to leave the College of Engineering. In this case the student must sign an agreement acknowledging they must apply for a change of college and would not be eligible to enroll as a College of Engineering student in any future semester.
Situations that resemble the above will be carefully considered. See your ESS Adviser to begin the process of petitioning for a change of class schedule after the deadline. Students should expect that requests not falling into one of the above four categories will generally not be approved.
NOTE: Courses for which academic dishonesty has been verified by established campus procedures may not be dropped from the record. Grades for such courses will be reinstated to the record when dishonesty is verified.